BootX enhancement request

anthony tong atong at uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 24 07:36:10 EST 1999

Tom Rini (Mon, Aug 23, 1999 at 04:27:46PM -0400):
> > I think you missed my point.  Don't get me wrong, that's cool to know.
> > But I was thinking more along the lines of a drop down menu to set the
> > resolution from BootX rather than cryptic kernel arguements.
>
> So you want BootX to be able to do what Monitors & Sound can do.  Either
> pick a mode there and use BootX from MacOS, or once 2.4.0 rolls around,
> specify video=aty128fb:1024x768 at 75 (or so).  There is no need for BootX to
> do this.

If you have a version of MacOS that saves the monitor mode in nvram,
you shouldn't need to give any kernel arguments. Alternatively you
can use the linuxpmac tool nvvideo to set this.

It should be simple to add modedb support for the time being as well.

> > It seems the 2.2.10 kernel will not sync to the video settings at all
> > without the kernel arguements.

The default (without kernel arguments) is 640x480-60, unless you have
a video mode already set in nvram.

> What, aty128fb?  It's beta and not done.  You're prolly better off using
> No Video Driver, unles you're gonna play w/ the source (Anthony, speak up
> if i'm wrong). :)

If it works, use it, if not, send me an email. :)