BootX enhancement request

Tom Rini trini at disparity.net
Tue Aug 24 06:27:46 EST 1999

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, brad allison wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Robert Shaw wrote:
>
> > Brad,
> >
> > Once again, you DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS! The B&W G3 now has video support.

This, BETA, driver. :)

> I think you missed my point.  Don't get me wrong, that's cool to know.
> But I was thinking more along the lines of a drop down menu to set the
> resolution from BootX rather than cryptic kernel arguements.

So you want BootX to be able to do what Monitors & Sound can do.  Either
pick a mode there and use BootX from MacOS, or once 2.4.0 rolls around,
specify video=aty128fb:1024x768 at 75 (or so).  There is no need for BootX to
do this.

> It seems the 2.2.10 kernel will not sync to the video settings at all
> without the kernel arguements.

What, aty128fb?  It's beta and not done.  You're prolly better off using
No Video Driver, unles you're gonna play w/ the source (Anthony, speak up
if i'm wrong). :)

> > The FAQ page at my site (http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw/g3_faq.shtml)
> > also has the
> > reproduction of the vmode settings that are available. They work, and
> > no running of Xautoconfig is needed.
>
> Well i think putting Xautoconfig in the rc.local file is still a good
> idea.

Xautoconfig is nice for monitors that don't work right w/ Xconfigurator.
It's not a tool for "No Video Driver" machines, it's a tool for wierd
monitors/easier to setup X.

---
Tom Rini (TR1265)
http://gate.crashing.org/~trini/