BootX enhancement request

brad allison jackal at aol.net
Tue Aug 24 06:16:23 EST 1999

On Mon, 23 Aug 1999, Robert Shaw wrote:

> Brad,
>
> Once again, you DO NOT NEED TO DO THIS! The B&W G3 now has video support.
>
> If you've downloaded the latest kernel from my web-site, you can specify the
> video mode you want from the kernel arguments of BootX. Add the following to you
> kernel arguments:
>
> video=aty128fb:vmode:17,cmode:32
>
> That will give you 1024x768 @ 75Hz, w/32bpp. Piece of cake, no init'ing, no
> rebooting, no running Xautoconfig.

I think you missed my point.  Don't get me wrong, that's cool to know.
But I was thinking more along the lines of a drop down menu to set the
resolution from BootX rather than cryptic kernel arguements.

It seems the 2.2.10 kernel will not sync to the video settings at all
without the kernel arguements.

> The FAQ page at my site (http://www.inficad.com/~rshaw/g3_faq.shtml)
> also has the
> reproduction of the vmode settings that are available. They work, and
> no running of Xautoconfig is needed.

Well i think putting Xautoconfig in the rc.local file is still a good
idea.

-b