string.h conflicting types warnings

Daniel Jacobowitz drow at false.org
Fri Aug 20 15:04:45 EST 1999

On Thu, Aug 19, 1999 at 02:12:33PM -0700, Matt Porter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm working on a standalone driver and have been running into these
> warnings lately.  Whilst compiling Mac-on-Linux I also got these
> warnings as well.  Searching around I only found some netbsd folks
> gettings these same warnings.  Anyone have an idea where this comes from?

> /usr/include/linux/string.h:31: warning: conflicting types for built-in
> function `memset'

Easy.  Anything that is including linux/string.h should be a module -
otherwise it needs to rearrange its choice of include files.  Any
module should use the settings from the kernel makefiles, which
include:
 -mmultiple -mstring -ffixed-r2 -fno-builtins

It's that last one you really want.

Dan

|         dan at debian.org         |  |       dmj+ at andrew.cmu.edu      |