atyfb with ATI 264VT?

Erwin Frise erwin at fruitfly.BDGP.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Aug 16 18:10:43 EST 1999

After upgrading from R4 to R5, I have been trying to get accelerated
XFree86 on my Starmax 4200 with the onboard video chip (ATI 264VT)
using the atyfb and kernel 2.2.10 (precompiled from Paul), booting
via BootX 1.1.3.

No matter what resolution/bit depth I choose I cannot get the kernel
atyfb to work: I get double text characters in 8 bit color mode,
totally screwed palette in 16 bit and a black screen with lots of
vertical lines everytime something gets written to the terminal in
24/32 bit (when starting XFree86, the results were similar). Playing
around with the mclk values didn't change anything at all. Out of
convenience I haven't used atyfb much since I started using BootX
(accelerated Xpmac worked "no video" checked too) but I believe that
atyfb was working fine with 2.1.24 in the early R4 release when I was
still using OF to boot.

Does anyone know what's going on or how to get the atyfb in the
current kernels to work with the ATI VT chip? Is there any obvious
problem/solution which I could try to do? At some point apparently
the VT chip worked, so what has changed since then? I saw that there
are still lots of references for the ATI VT chip in the atyfb.c
driver in the kernel code; however don't understand enough about
graphics chip programming to make any meaningful tweaks. I have been
following the discussion about the atyfb on the G3. Perhaps I could
also try to use Geert's atyfb_dsp_debug program but I'm a bit
reluctant to play around with parameters I don't understand and
perhaps fry my graphics chip.

LinuxPCC has become a very important part of my daily work and
despite of those problems I wish to thank all the developers out
there. I'd be very grateful if someone could give me some clues,
guidelines or tips.

TIA,

Erwin
--