[linux-fbdev] Re: readl() and friends and eieio on PPC

Jes Sorensen Jes.Sorensen at cern.ch
Thu Aug 12 17:38:58 EST 1999

Paul> Jes Sorensen <Jes.Sorensen at cern.ch> wrote:
>> I will have to disagree with you on this one, I consider the PPC
>> implementation to be very broken in this regard.

Paul> "Very broken" - because drivers work and there is no measurable
Paul> performance impact?? !!! ??

Paul> The only possible argument for *not* having the eieio in
Paul> readl/writel is that it hurts performance (actually and
Paul> measurably, not just potentially).

Ok strong wording maybe.

I am just quite displeased when people try to hide the real world from
programmers because most code was written for the x86 by people
without a clue. In the long term I think that sort of approach is
going to bite us since code will not get fixed where it should.

Jes