Trying a Promise Ultra/66 on powerpc

Michel Lanners mlan at cpu.lu
Mon Aug 9 06:00:28 EST 1999

On  29 Jul, this message from Benjamin Herrenschmidt echoed through cyberspace:
> On Wed, Jul 28, 1999, Michel Lanners <mlan at cpu.lu> wrote:
>
>>It seems that OpenFirmware is not doing its job well in initializing all
>>PCI devices.For the planb driver, which uses an onboard PCI device
>>(video input) known to OF (i.e Apple device), I need to set
>>PCI_COMMAND_MEMORY | PCI_COMMAND_MASTER | PCI_COMMAND_INVALIDATE. Or is
>>it just a problem with IO space enabling, and memory is already
>>switched on by OF?
>
> OF will not enable memory space if there's no OF boot code on the board.
> I beleive it doesn the same with IO space (but I didn't check). The lack
> of PCI_COMMAND_INVALIDATE can be considered as an OF bug if the card
> already has PCI_COMMAND_MASTER set as a default. I think the kernel
> should add this to all devices at fixup time. (It should be harmless for
> non-master devices anyway).

Right, according to 'Designing PCI cards and Drivers..', OF never
enables neither memory space, nor IO space, neither ROM. It should,
however, set both PCI_COMMAND_MASTER and PCI_COMMAND_INVALIDATE. I
didn't chek, though...

I'm getting a patch ready that fixes this on the PMac plkatform. Geert,
how about OF in your CHRP box? Does it need the enable fix as well?

Michel