Kernal crashes

Ira K. Weiny iweiny at kdat.csc.calpoly.edu
Sat Aug 7 04:07:42 EST 1999

I have used 2.1.24 kernal with a MkLinux/LinuxPPC mixture
system.  It's a long story but it worked.

I have just upgraded to R5 of the LinuxPPC distribution
(linuxppc.com) which has the 2.2.6 kernal.

I used my same scripts to connect with ppp to my ISP.  But the new pppd and
chat programs.

I have now expierenced serveral kernal crashes when running Netscape, and
once with rlogin.  The last of which destroyed my file system and now I
can't even log in.  Very disapointing.  I have emailed the linuxppc-user
list concerning this issue and apparently others have the same problem but
no one knows how to fix it.

I know the kernal goes down because I can not even telnet to the box.  Well
maybe telnetd just went down, but I can't even get a getty to shut the
machine down and that is why the file system is hosed.

Is there something different between the kernals concering serial support?
And if so what can I do about it?

I sent something to the linuxppc-user list but the only response I got back
was "I just don't use Netscape"  Well the problem happened with rlogin and I
don't see any reason Netscape (a user program) could mess up the kernal.  If
just Netscape were crashing that would be a different issue.

Can anybody help me with this.

Thanks
Ira Weiny
iweiny at acm.org