PROBLEMS BOOTING KERNEL ON EMBEDDED PROCESSOR MBX821

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Fri Aug 6 18:08:04 EST 1999

On Thu, 5 Aug 1999, Neil Blackwood wrote:
>         I have just downloaded the 2.2.0pre6 kernel for MBX8xx processors
> from
> the embedded directory of linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu.
> We are running it on a MXX821-004A development board.
> Unfortunately we seem to have a problem during the booting of the kernel.
> The messages
>
>                         iack = -1
>
> and
>                         irq = 7
>
> are displayed continuously.
>
> We have managed to track down the iack message in the kernel source.
> In directory
> linux/arch/ppc/kernel
> in File
> ppc8xx_pic.c
> In function
>
> mbx_i8259_action()
> is the code
>
>                 int irq;
>
>                 irq = (inl(0x508)>>24)&0xff;
>                 if (irq!= 0xff)printk("iack 5d\n", irq);
>
> We think this is inconsistent if the value of irq is printed out as -1.

The first thing in my mind that gets triggered by this is unsigned vs. signed
chars. On most systems, `char' defaults to `signed char', but on PPC it
defaults to `unsigned char'. Either behavior complies with the C standard.
But I don't see where it gets wrong here :-(

> ps Is this type of enquiry suitable for this mailing list or should I use
> USERS.

IMHO this is the correct list.

Greetings,

						Geert