PROBLEMS BOOTING KERNEL ON EMBEDDED PROCESSOR MBX821

Neil Blackwood nb at terrafix.co.uk
Fri Aug 6 02:59:29 EST 1999

        I have just downloaded the 2.2.0pre6 kernel for MBX8xx processors
from
the embedded directory of linuxppc.cs.nmt.edu.

We are running it on a MXX821-004A development board.

Unfortunately we seem to have a problem during the booting of the kernel.

The messages

                        iack = -1

and
                        irq = 7

are displayed continuously.

We have managed to track down the iack message in the kernel source.

In directory

linux/arch/ppc/kernel

in File

ppc8xx_pic.c

In function

mbx_i8259_action()
is the code

                int irq;

                irq = (inl(0x508)>>24)&0xff;
                if (irq!= 0xff)printk("iack 5d\n", irq);

We think this is inconsistent if the value of irq is printed out as -1.

We have previously run a 2.1 version of the kernel successfully. Do you have
any ideas to solve the problem?

I am also looking at including floating point libraries into the kernel.
Does anything currently exist?

                                Neil Blackwood

ps Is this type of enquiry suitable for this mailing list or should I use
USERS.

pps I am completely new to LINUX and operating systems in general, so my
current level of understanding is very low.
www.terrafix.co.uk

Terrafix Ltd
23c Newfield Industrial Estate
Tunstall, Stoke on Trent