B&W G3 booting, but no X

puetzk6715 at uni.edu puetzk6715 at uni.edu
Wed Apr 28 04:41:42 EST 1999

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Dana Spiegel wrote:

> So I have my new B&W G3 400 booting with linuxppc using the yellowdog
> kernel. The install went flawlessly, and I can boot into linux using bootX
> 1.0.1.
>
> here's the problem: I got the iMac XF68 framebuffer X server, but I can't
> get it to work properly. I tried the default XF86Config, but it complains
> there are no usable X modes. I also tried the imac XF86Config, which of
> course only has resolutions up to 1024x768. It said it couldn't find any
> usable resolutions either.

I just figured this out with my friend. You need to edit the end of
/etc/XF86Config. Uncomment the "Screen" section that has mode "default"
and comment (# sign) all the others. Now you should get the same mode you
had im MacOS before BootXing

> I run my monitor at 1600x1200 at 75Hz in 24bit color (nice video card). Can I
> get X to work properly? I'd like to keep this resolution (but would be
> willing to run in 16bit color if necessary).
>
> Also, what about compiling XFree86 SVGA server to support the ATI chipset
> natively? Can this be done?

No - thie is not the ATI mach64 (which is supported) but the ATI 128 (for
which no drivers exist yet). So you're stuck with slow X (well, not _too_
slow, as it's a fast machine) for a while.