Pty problem in RawHide

Kevin Hendrickson hndrcksn at net178019.hcv.com
Tue Apr 27 07:38:03 EST 1999

On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Takashi Oe wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 1999, Kevin Hendrickson wrote:
>
> > having ALL services commented out by default (why?) Anyway now I get
> > "telnetd: All network ports in use"! Even when telneting to 127.0.0.1 from
> > the console. Also attempts to run xterm fail with "xterm: no available
> > ptys"!
>
> I don't really know the root of the problems you are experiencing, but I
> have seen something similar when I first tried rawhide.
>
> Do you have UNIX98 PTY support and devpts filesystem support enabled in
> your kernel?  If so, do you have /dev/pts mounted properly?  My problems
> went away when I added an entry for /dev/pts in /etc/fstab and did "mount
> /dev/pts".  I think Documentation/devices.txt has some infos on it.

Thanks! That was it. I checked Documentation/Changes which had a bit more
info than devices.txt on setting up /etc/fstab and mounted /dev/pts. Works
like a charm.

Now I have to figure out why the keys seem to be screwed up in Gnome.
When in the console, all is well, but whenever I type in an X app like
xterm, the keys are all screwed up.

Kevin