Assembler Error

Franz Sirl Franz.Sirl-kernel at lauterbach.com
Sun Apr 18 21:11:40 EST 1999

Am Sat, 17 Apr 1999 schrieb Josh Hudson:
>When I try to compile big codes with lots of lines I get this:
>
>/tmp/cca00758.s: Assembler messages:
>/tmp/cca00758.s:40303: Error: Bad expression
>/tmp/cca00758.s:40303: Error: Rest of line ignored. First ignored
>character is `M'.
>make: *** [act_comm.o] Error 1

Any chance you are compiling with -ggdb? If so, turn it into a simple -g option
and it should work.
Another possibility might be that the sources you are trying to compile contain
inline assembler for a non-PPC processor.

If the above isn't true for you, post more information, like the exact options
used to compile the sourcefile, the preprocessed source file and/or the
assembler file. You can get the latter 2 if you add -save-temps to the compiler
options. If you compile a .c/.cc/.C file with -save-temps, you will get
the intermediate .i/.ii (preprocessed) and .s (assembler) files, which
are usually not visible.

Franz.