[Patch] linuxppc gnuplot segfaults in save

Gabriel Paubert paubert at iram.es
Fri Apr 16 02:54:13 EST 1999

On Thu, 15 Apr 1999, Franz Sirl wrote:

> Hmm, there was a change long ago I think. AFAIR it was due to ABI issues,
> but this has probably nothing to do with the bug in question here, which is
> a clear compiler bug. While setting up the function prologue it uses a
> variable which is not yet setup at this time. The net effect is that the
> prologue uses different offsets from the SP than the rest of the function :-(.

Quite bad :-(

> BTW, Gabriel, the latest gas snapshots (990413/14) contain a PPC related
> patch from you. Do you consider your patch a bugfix or an extension? I
> currently use the 990403 snapshot for R5 and don't wanna upgrade again
> before R5 release, unless it's a bugfix.

IMHO there was a bug and I fixed it: my copy if the SYSV ABI claims that
relocation type R_PPC_SECTOFF (value 33) is 16 bit wide and not 32.  I
needed it for some glue assembly code compiled with -mrelocatable option.
You may consider it as an obscure case: it was considered as 32 bit and
nobody noticed, AFAIK the compiler never generates this kind of relocation
(and when I upgrade to R5 I shall keep my copy of binutils around).

	Gabriel.