Booting Linux from Flash
brendan at dgs.monash.edu.au
Tue Apr 13 13:57:20 EST 1999
I want to run Linux (linuxppc) on a custom MPC860 board with 32MB DRAM
and 2-4MB of Flash. This is pure memory mapped flash (not ide
What do I need to build and boot an embedded linux system ?
1) Cross Compiler: I have egcs-1.1b built from the RTEMS build scripts
2) C libraries: Do I need these and how are they compiled ? Is newlib
or glibc required ?
3) Kernenl sources: How to cross compile ? Is it as simple as
CC=powerpc-eabi-gcc & make ?
4) What about support executables like init, bash/ash/sh ? Are the
sources included with the kernel or do I have to get them elsewhere and
compile them with the cross compiler ?
5) I guess I need to write a bootloader. What does the bootloader have
to do and how do I pass parameters to the kernel ?
6) If I have a root file system image compressed in Flash, how does it
get uncompressed into RAM. How do I tell the kernel where the root FS
PS. Are there any HOWTOs which cover booting from Flash (not Flash IDE
[[ This message was sent via the linuxppc-dev mailing list. Replies are ]]
[[ not forced back to the list, so be sure to Cc linuxppc-dev if your ]]
[[ reply is of general interest. Please check http://lists.linuxppc.org/ ]]
[[ and http://www.linuxppc.org/ for useful information before posting. ]]
More information about the Linuxppc-dev