MVME2306 problems dragging on

David De Ridder s970707 at uia.ua.ac.be
Sat Apr 3 01:22:01 EST 1999

On Fri, 2 Apr 1999, VALETTE Eric wrote:

> David> serial console gets flooded with two kinds of similar messages :
>
> David> ``request_irq(): irq 4 handler c008dae8 name serial dev_id 0000`` and
> David> ``request_irq(): irq 4 handler c0000000 name <NULL> dev_id 0000``.
>
> David> BTW, I'm using a /dev/console with major 5 minor 1. Inbetween those
> David> messages, I see some errors that seem to come from init. I have no update
> David> daemon, and bash cannot be loaded because it cannot find its libtermcap.
> David> When I manually make a link to libtermcap, there are no more errors,
> David> but also no more screen output at all.
>
> David> Does anyone know how to get it correctly running ?
>
> Fisrt I assumes that you are using a serial console to boot? If yes then
> change the /etc/inittab file to
>
> 1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty1 => 1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 linux

 Thanks, that helped a bit. I'm using

 1:23:respawn:/sbin/getty ttyS0 DT9600 vt220

 since I could not find any agetty (to use the -L option) in RH5.
 So, now the system boots like a real Linux machine, and I *finally* get
 a login prompt (Raw Hide 1.2.7). It says ``localhost login :''.
 Strange enough, when I type anything, the word 'login' appears on the
 next line, and then after a few secs, the login banner resets the screen.
 Also, backspace isn't working. It appears that I can walk through the
 screen. This seems just a simple terminal setting problem. But I don't
 see what's wrong. (BTW, I already added ``ttyS0'' to /etc/securetty).

 Regards,

|   David 'Septimus' De Ridder   | "Never underestimate the       |
|                                |  power of the soul unleashed." |
| <david.de.ridder at bitsmart.com> |   - 'Essence Flare', M:TG      |