vger CVS questions

Dan Malek dmalek at jlc.net
Wed Dec 23 17:36:05 EST 1998

Cort Dougan wrote:

> I think another branch would be a bad idea.  Everything in the main tree
> is best for now.

I agree.  Once you get comfortable working with the
kernel you will discover the 8xx modifications are minimal.
Trying to track other kernel updates in a unique 8xx tree
would not be spending time wisely :-).

I created an 8xx directory from the beginning to contain
those things unique to the 8xx.  Right now, it contains
drivers and functions unique to the CPM or other 8xx I/O.

The only things we really need unique to the embedded
processors are support libraries.  They need to be
compiled with software floating point, and minimal.
I was finally successful today building the glibc SRPM
for the 8xx processors.  I will drop it on the server and
build a new embedded root file system image with them.

    -- Dan