TCPv4 checksum errors

David S. Miller davem at dm.cobaltmicro.com
Tue Dec 22 20:35:55 EST 1998

   Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 10:21:58 +0100 (CET)
   From: Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be>

   > of a specific packet with a bad checksum generated by Linux/PPC?

   cassandra kernel: TCPv4 bad checksum from 10.0.24.8:03ff to 10.0.24.4:0201, len=20/20/40

   (10.0.24.8 is CHRP, 10.0.24.4 is Amiga)

My suggestion is that since you can reproduce it, you should add code
next to this printk statement which dumps the entire packet in HEX to
the console.  Then you can see what and who is at fault and where.
If the packet is sufficiently small you can walk the checksum
algorithm by hand and verify it for this test case.

In any event this should allow you to say a lot more about this
situation, I hear about it a lot and if I were a PPC or m68k developer
I would not let it go for this long, especially if I could reproduce
it on my own friggin' machine!

BTW, do all of the PPC's which exhibit the behavior use the same
ethernet controller?

Later,
David S. Miller
davem at dm.cobaltmicro.com