TCPv4 checksum errors

Geert Uytterhoeven Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be
Tue Dec 22 20:21:58 EST 1998

On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Paul Mackerras wrote:
> Geert Uytterhoeven <Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> > There must be a bug left in the TCPv4 checksum code. Linux/PPC still sends
> > out packets with bad checksums. Any TCP checksum experts listening?
>
> I have tried Dave Miller's checksum test program on the PPC inet
> checksum code and it didn't find any errors.  Do you have an example

I tried his program a while ago, too, on m68k and PPC. According to that
program, the m68k checksum routines are broken, but PPC is OK. But I don't
believe it. I never get TCP checksum errors for packets originating from any
other machine.

People who don't have m68k boxes also see them for packets related to PPC
boxes. And I can't believe the ia32 checksum routines are broken, too.

> of a specific packet with a bad checksum generated by Linux/PPC?

cassandra kernel: TCPv4 bad checksum from 10.0.24.8:03ff to 10.0.24.4:0201, len=20/20/40

(10.0.24.8 is CHRP, 10.0.24.4 is Amiga)

Greetings,

						Geert

Geert Uytterhoeven                     Geert.Uytterhoeven at cs.kuleuven.ac.be