undefined symbol: _IO_2_1_stdin_

Keith Jacob kjacob at wantree.com.au
Mon Dec 21 17:25:05 EST 1998

On 20/12/98 8:09 PM, Martin Costabel <costabel at wanadoo.fr> tapped out:

>Keith Jacob wrote:
>>
>> Any clues? Please?
>>
>> Full errror is
>>
>> error in loading shared libraries
>> : undefined symbol: _IO_2_1_stdin_
>>
>> When?
>>
>> Whenever I try to run pre-compiled binaries (mostly from stock LinuxPPC
>> RPMs) from late-1998 builds.
>
>Are you trying to run R4.1 binaries with R4 libraries?

Not that I know of; certainly not intentionally.

>This won't work.
>You have to upgrade your glibc (and everything else). Better wait for R5
>and stay with binaries linked with glibc-961212 (if you can find out
>which ones they are :-)).
>
>I am pretty sure this(*) will be one of the very FAQs over the next
>months. That's why I kept the excessive crossposting list from Keith's
>original. I would love to be wrong on this.

Excessive crossposting? What else are these lists for? (-:

>> BTW, Gary Thomas's latest egcs-1.1-1b RPMs include bins that exhibit this
>> behaviour, e.g. gcc!
>
>This is very strange. So maybe your problem is something else, after
>all.
>
>(*) A typical variant for pre-R5 binaries is:
> error in loading shared libraries
>: undefined symbol: __libc_start_main
>
>--
>Martin

After a *lot* more digging around, I can only assume this is actually a
header problem, i.e. binaries compiled against the wrong headers will
give this error message. But, as usual, the normal caveats apply; e.g. do
I really know what I'm talking about...

--
Keith Jacob
kjacob at wantree.com.au