[Lguest] Loading Lguest guest - Unhandled trap 256 at x100000

Naman Muley naman.g.muley at gmail.com
Sat Apr 27 02:42:36 EST 2013

Hello,

I am a virtualization newbie and I was working on a project, trying to run
lguest. I went through the steps mentioned by rusty over here:
http://lguest.ozlabs.org/lguest.txt

Following are some of the things i think I should mention:

1. I'm running on virtualbox. I used a ubuntu 12.04 with 3.5.0 kernel to
recompile a 3.2.39 kernel, booted with the new kernel. (so, basically i'm
already on 2 layers of virtualization).

When I run:
root at ngm7-Vbox:usr/src/linux-source-3.2.0#Documentation/virtual/lguest/lguest
64 vmlinux --tunnet=192.168.19.1 --block=/home/ngm7/initrd-1.1-i386.img
root=/dev/vda

i get the following error immediately:
lguest: unhandled trap 256 at 0x100000 (0x82)

NOTE: this is the same value as my CONFIG_PHYSICAL_ALIGN and
CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START in the .config file. Hence, i have a feeling this
error is showing because the guest could not handle a trap right at the
initialization.

I have a feeling this has something to do with my system, the layers of
virtualization i'm running OR my config. But i am clueless as to what the
actual problem is.

I appreciate any help or if someone has an understanding of the above
things.

Naman