[Lguest] Guest's Internal Clock

Eviatar Khen eviatarkhen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 08:41:27 EST 2012

Hi All,

As part on my master thesis I'm building a virtualization based
development tool for the kernel. One of the features I would like to
supply is CPU time profiling of certain kernel code segments.
The direction that I took here is to connect gdb to lguest guest via
virtual serial, the application would put break points at the start and
end of the interesting code segment.
The work is to document the start time and end time, and add it to the
total results.
Now, I wonder if this documented time could be free from the overhead of
the switches at I/O (both "real" I/O events and also gdb I/O events)?
Is there any internal "real" clock that doesn't account all this
overhead AND it is accessible to launcher?
Ideas (of course I am ready to implement if needed) would be happily
accepted.

Thank you and best regards,

Eviatar Khen