[Lguest] Help on ballooning for lguest

Gaurav Kukreja mailme.gaurav at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 15:18:02 EST 2010

Hi,

I am working to enable ballooning support for lguest.

Please care to correct me, if I am wrong.

I have read very little about ballooning in Xen, and have found out, they
use a userspace script in the host. This script reads statistics posted by
each of the guests in Xenstore, which is a posting area that is shared by
the guests and the host. The userspace script, that is called
self-ballooning, then decides how much memory from whom to take and whom to
give.

Now, for lguest, i present my idea. I want to make a userspace program, that
will be used to configure and launch the guest. This userspace program will
also maintain, a series of statistics delivered by each of the guest, maybe
through a virtio device driver, in a Xenstore like area. The same userspace
program will continuously evaluate the statistics, and decide how much to
balloon, much like the self-ballooning script in Xen.

Please post your ideas or suggestions on this topic. I am on a tight
schedule, and need to get this to work very soon.

--
Gaurav Kukreja

+91 997 030 1257