[Lguest] powerpc64 port anyone?

Hollis Blanchard hollisb at us.ibm.com
Thu Apr 23 01:42:03 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 18:03 +0400, Wartan Hachaturow wrote:
> On 4/22/09, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> > Well, I think the x86_64 port is dead; nothing has been done on it in
> > over a year.  POWER could be done, but you'd have to know a lot about
> > POWER (or learn a lot about POWER).
>
> As far as I understand, major issues would be to make lguest 64-bit,
> and invent a POWER replacement for your creative use of i386
> segmentation. I need to refresh my memories on power memory management
> :)
>
> Probably, a powerpc32 would be easier for a start -- and benefit those
> lacking PowerVM :)

Probably easier, yeah.

> It looks like powerpc is currently missing any kind of software
> virtualization: kvm is x86, XenPPC seems to be dead, and so is
> OpenVZ's powerpc port.

KVM supports embedded PowerPC (440 and e500 at the moment), and there
has been some work to port it to ppc64 cores like 970 (without using the
hardware extensions, since these are unavailable on shipping systems).
If you're interested, you should check out the trees at
http://powerkvm.org .

What hardware do you have available? Qemu has made great progress in
PowerPC target support in the last 6 months, and that can be very
convenient even when you have real hardware.

--
Hollis Blanchard
IBM Linux Technology Center