[Lguest] PAE support

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Fri Sep 12 13:34:36 EST 2008

On Tuesday 09 September 2008 02:03:43 Matias Zabaljauregui wrote:
> Hello,  I can run a PAE guest in my QEMU.

Hi Matias!

    Wow, do you drink beer?  Because I owe you a beer!  As you say, this code
is a bit rough of course (nice to try to clear some casts and ifdefs) but
it's far far neater than I imagined!

>    -  the hypercalls arguments are 32 bits wide. I need 64 bits for
> PAE, but it is working because I don' t use high physical addresses
> for these tests.  the question here is:  what is the best technique
> for passing 64 bit data with hypercalls.

    Register split A/D or B/C.  Thought I have been wanting to change over to
using kvm-style hypercalls now they're in the tree.

>    - the launcher for PAE should be a different binary?  or could just
> receive an option from the command line ?  (I'm using the command line
> option   --pae). The only difference is the initial page table.

    If we can move the page table creation into the kernel, we can avoid this
distinction altogether.  I think that's probably best...

Sorry for the slow reply; been distracted by RL.

> ps:  I sent a 4mb  pages  patch  some days ago.  If you give me an OK,
>  I can adapt that patch to this one.

Yep, already in my queue.

Thanks!
Rusty.