[Lguest] lguest + nfs

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Tue Oct 21 03:16:44 EST 2008

Tiago Maluta wrote:
>> I can't tell you how to make it work, but I definitely
>> know that it does work! I ran 3 guests with root over NFS.
>> Sadly that machine is long gone now, so I can't tell you
>> exactly how I did it.. but I don't recall having to do
>> anything special. I'll see if I can dig up my code that
>> I used to start them.
>>
>> This was also on Gentoo, but a much older release of the
>> kernel.
>>

> Rusty Russell fixed the problem. I've forgoted to set TUN/TAP connection.
> Now I can boot lguest with on Gentoo Stage3.
>
> Lguest is a very nice tool :-)

I loaded the following modules:

~#modprobe virtio_balloon
~#modprobe virtio_blk
~#modprobe lg
~#modprobe tun

And used:
~# Documentation/lguest/lguest --tunnet=$TARGET 128 $VMLINUX
root=/dev/nfs nfsroot=$SERVER:$ROOTFS
ip=$TARGET:$SERVER:$GW:$NETMASK:$NAME:eth0:off

But I don't know my lguest doesn't work...

-- boot via nfs --

(...)
IP-Config: Complete:
     device=eth0, addr=192.168.254.40, mask=255.255.255.0, gw=192.168.254.1,
     host=lguest, domain=, nis-domain=(none),
     bootserver=192.168.254.1, rootserver=192.168.254.1, rootpath=
Looking up port of RPC 100003/2 on 192.168.254.1
rpcbind: server 192.168.254.1 not responding, timed out
Root-NFS: Unable to get nfsd port number from server, using default
Looking up port of RPC 100005/1 on 192.168.254.1
rpcbind: server 192.168.254.1 not responding, timed out
Root-NFS: Unable to get mountd port number from server, using default
mount: server 192.168.254.1 not responding, timed out
Root-NFS: Server returned error -5 while mounting
/opt/rootfs/x86/lguest_test
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
VFS: Cannot open root device "nfs" or unknown-block(2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(2,0)
lguest: CRASH: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

-- boot via initrd --

~#Documentation/lguest/lguest 64 vmlinux
--block=../linux-2.6/initrd-1.1-i386.img root=/dev/vda

(...)
IPv6 over IPv4 tunneling
driver

NET: Registered protocol family
17

RPC: Registered udp transport
module.

RPC: Registered tcp transport
module.

Using IPI No-Shortcut
mode

VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or
unknown-block(254,0)

Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
fe00       3560 vda driver:
virtio_blk

Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(254,0)

Must I compile virtio_blk as module or built-in, in order to use vda device?

Best regards,
Tiago Maluta