[Lguest] booting a kernel with initramfs

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Thu Oct 16 14:16:06 EST 2008

Hi,

I'd like to make a test using lguest booting a kernel with initramfs. From Documentation/filesystems/ramfs-rootfs-initramfs.txt I tried the approach creating a file (initramfs_list) and compiled. Basically my file contains:

nod /dev/console 644 0 0 c 5 1
nod /dev/loop0 644 0 0 b 7 0
nod /dev/tty0 600 0 0 c 4 0
nod /dev/tty1 600 0 0 c 4 1
nod /dev/ttyS0 644 0 0 c 4 64
dir /bin 755 1000 1000
file /bin/busybox initramfs/busybox 755 0 0
slink /bin/sh /bin/busybox 777 0 0
slink /init initramfs/init.sh 755 0 0
dir /proc 755 0 0
dir /sys 755 0 0
dir /mnt 755 0 0

Where init.sh contains only echo "Hello" and busybox is statically linked.

#Documentation/lguest/lguest 64 vmlinux
(...)
Using IPI No-Shortcut mode
Root-NFS: No NFS server available, giving up.
VFS: Unable to mount root fs via NFS, trying floppy.
VFS: Insert root floppy and press ENTER
VFS: Cannot open root device "<NULL>" or unknown-block(2,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)
lguest: CRASH: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(2,0)

I expect to see the echo output from init.sh before got kernel panic..., I think that I forgot something on /dev.

Obs.: I've tried pass the parameter console= to kernel withou success.

Best regards,
Tiago Maluta