[Lguest] more network interfaces

inflo inflo at web.de
Sun Mar 16 00:46:28 EST 2008

hi,
please send to mailinglist to share information along all.

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:11:36 -0800
"ron minnich" <rminnich at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 11:15 AM, inflo <inflo at web.de> wrote:
> > hi,
> >  i was thinking about more network interfaces inside an guest, i
> >  think there two ways, one to setup the guest at startup with more
> >  network, e.g. --tunnet=192.168.3.1;192.168.4.1  but then a guest
> >  must be restarted if one want more interfaces. So the second one
> >  would be a hypercall to setup a new field in devices.descpage and
> >  call the rest stuff like add_lguest_device().
>
> I don't really understand. This seems incredibly specialized. This is
> the second idea I've seen that threatens to push us into hypercall
> cancer.
yes, your right, its to specialized, only for network, and thats not
good

> Why not a paravirt device that can add more devices using file i/o
> commands instead of more hypercalls?
if i understand it correct, paravirt devices connects/talk to the host,
but we must invoke the launcher to write new_device() information into
the page on top of guest memory and then invoke the guest-kernel to
scan_devices() again, like it does at guest-boot, or am i wrong?

> or a device that guests use to talk to hosts about their environment
> in general?
must the guest talk with the host? ok, it talks to the host in
register_virtio_device() when it uses device_register(), but this, the
virtio infrasturcture is doing already

flo