[Lguest] The meaning of /dev/vda

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Mon Mar 3 05:10:17 EST 2008

Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 2, 2008 at 1:06 PM, Tiago Maluta <maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I'm new with some concepts adopted by lguest.
>>
>>  I tried to run a simple example, inspired by thread 'no terminal', but I
>>  got an message error:
>>
>>  VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or unknown-block(0,0)
>>  Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
>>  partitions:
>>  Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
>>  unknown-block(0,0)
> This means you have not compiled LGUEST_BLOCK in.

Searching for LGUEST in my menuconfig, I found:

  Symbol: LGUEST_GUEST [=y]

    Prompt: Lguest guest support

      Defined at arch/x86/lguest/Kconfig:1

      Depends on: PARAVIRT_GUEST && !X86_PAE && !X86_VISWS &&
!X86_VOYAGER

      Location:

        -> Processor type and features

          -> Paravirtualized guest support (PARAVIRT_GUEST [=y])

      Selects: PARAVIRT && VIRTIO && VIRTIO_RING && VIRTIO_CONSOLE

    Symbol: LGUEST [=m]

    Prompt: Linux hypervisor example code

      Defined at drivers/lguest/Kconfig:1

      Depends on: VIRTUALIZATION && X86_32 && EXPERIMENTAL && !X86_PAE
&& FUTEX && !X86_VISWS && !X86_VOYAGER

      Location:

        -> Device Drivers

          -> Virtualization (VIRTUALIZATION [=y])

      Selects: HVC_DRIVER

I'm using the version 2.6.24.1 of linux kernel. Should I apply some
patch to get LGUEST_BLOCK?

Best regards,

-
tiago