[Lguest] The meaning of /dev/vda

Tiago Maluta maluta_tiago at yahoo.com.br
Mon Mar 3 03:06:35 EST 2008

Hi,

I'm new with some concepts adopted by lguest.

I tried to run a simple example, inspired by thread 'no terminal', but I
got an message error:

VFS: Cannot open root device "vda" or unknown-block(0,0)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available
partitions:
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
unknown-block(0,0)
lguest: CRASH: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

It's obviously because I don't have vda device, I tried created then
with mknod but didn't work. Mosts results from Google search refers to
issues in Documentation/lguest/lguest.txt.

Now I had two questions:

1. I suppose /dev/vda its the virtual root filesystem, but how it works?
2. How I created then?

Best regards,

-
tiago