[Lguest] guest console in Lguest is too slow

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Mon Jun 16 12:02:09 EST 2008

On Sunday 15 June 2008 14:59:42 Zhou Ya JIn wrote:
> Hi all, I tried Lguest in my notebook and it is really cool to make it
> run. The kernel I use is 2.6.24-19 of ubuntu.
> But I have a question. When I type command in guest console, why it is
> very slow to see the command and the console acts very slow.

Yes, this is because we use the hvc_console code, and it's not set up to use
virtqueues, so it polls (with a backoff, which you are seeing).  Christian is
working on improving it so it can use the interrupt correctly: Christian?

> ps I am planning porting Lguest to MIPS. Anyone has began on this?

Not that I know of!  It would be a significant effort, requiring deep MIPS
knowledge, but it would be very interesting to see...

Thanks,
Rusty.