Call for testing: device nodes as kobjects

Sascha Hauer s.hauer at pengutronix.de
Thu Apr 18 03:16:18 EST 2013

Hi Grant,

On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 04:48:22PM +0100, Grant Likely wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Could I get some testing support please? I've applied the patch that
> makes device nodes into kobjects into the following branch and build
> tested it on a bunch of platforms. What I need now is boot testing on
> different architectures.
>
> If you can build this tree and make sure it doesn't break your
> platforms with OF support I would greatly appreciate it.
>
> Also, if you turn off CONFIG_PROC_DEVICETREE, a symlink will be
> created to the /sys/firmware  representation which should be
> functionally identical. For those of you using tools that read
> /proc/device-tree (like kexec), I would also appreciate if you can
> test that those tools still work with CONFIG_PROC_DEVICETREE turned
> off.
>
> git://git.secretlab.ca/git/linux devicetree/experimental

I gave it a quick test on i.MX53 (qsb) and i.MX27 (phycore i.MX27).
Both seem to work just normally. I also made a

diff -urN /proc/device-tree /sys/firmware/ofw/device-tree

with CONFIG_PROC_DEVICETREE enabled (so no symlink). Indeed both
trees are identical.

So:

Tested-by: Sascha Hauer <s.hauer at pengutronix.de>

Sascha