kirkwood devicetree respin

Felipe Balbi balbi at ti.com
Wed Mar 21 22:45:48 EST 2012

On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 10:09:40AM +0000, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 March 2012, Haojian Zhuang wrote:
> > The driver isn't used by any other platform. It's only used in
> > arch-pxa & arch-mmp.
> >
> > I can't find the original mail. But I remembered that maintainer said
> > the driver should be built with any other platform, even with x86. So
> > we aren't allowed to append it in Kconfig.
>
> I generally make the recommendation that any driver should be able to
> get built on any system. However, in this particular case, it's clearly
> a bug, because you cannot build it together with another platform driver.
>
> That will change when we get to multiplatform builds on ARM that where we
> actually need to find a way to make that possible.

I have explained an easy way to achieve that to Alan Stern, but he did
not like it. Basically, we should add a platform_device to ehci-hcd.ko
and make ehci-{omap,mv,fsl,atmel,etc} a parent device/driver which
basically passes the correct resources and handle platform-specific
details.

That way, we could build everything together and udev would load the
correct modules for us.

For an example of what I mean, see drivers/usb/dwc3/core.c,
drivers/usb/dwc3/dwc3-omap.c, and drivers/usb/dwc3/dwc3-pci.c

--
balbi