Where to power on the wifi device before loading the driver.

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Sat Jun 16 01:49:10 EST 2012

On 06/15/2012 12:09 AM, Wei Ni wrote:

>>> This seems to make the most sense - pushing this through the
>>> regulator API is just a bodge.
>>
>> Yes, that seems reasonable.
>>
>> Presumably the power GPIO should be a fixed regulator though, since it
>> is a power control not just a plain old GPIO? That said, the current driver apparently deals with this as a GPIO already.
>>
>> The reset GPIO can separately/directly controlled by the WiFi driver though.
>
> I talked with Franky, this power sequence is generally for 4329, so it mean this sequence can be put into the wifi driver.
> We can use the virtual platform device both for OOB and non OOB.
> I will send out patches later.

Can you please expand on what a "virtual platform device" is; device
tree typically represents real hardware rather than anything "virtual".

Now if this means adding a child node under the SDIO controller to
represent the attached device, and storing any settings required by that
device in that child node, that's probably a reasonable basic approach.

BTW, which GPIO is the power GPIO; is it WF_EN on the schematic? That
seems reasonable to represent as a GPIO rather than a regulator since it
connects directly into the WiFi device as a GPIO, and its use within the
WiFi device can indeed be governed purely internally to the WiFi
driver/HW. However, if this is some GPIO that controls the power to e.g.
VBAT3V3_IN_WF, VDDIO_WF, or other power supply to the WiFi card, then
it'd be better represented as a regulator, since the control point is
outside the WiFi device.