alias variable support

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Mon Dec 5 10:09:19 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 10:14:47AM +0000, Kushwaha Prabhakar-B32579 wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Is there a way in dts to have alias for a variable just like we have alias for node.
>
> For example for a node "abc"
>

>             alias_comp = "comp-2.0"
>
> 		abc at 3100 {
> 			#address-cells = <1>;
> 			#size-cells = <0>;
> 			cell-index = <1>;
> 			compatible = alias_comp
> 			reg = <0x3100 0x100>;
> 		};
>
> Here alias_comp will be replaced by "comp-2.0" during compilation.

That's not really an alias, or like one.

It is more like a named constant / variable.  We don't have support
for this, but it is something we'd like to add to dtc eventually.
It's just that no-one has had time to design, implement and come up
with a decent syntax for it.

http://www.ozlabs.org/~dgibson