Configurable interrupt sources, and DT bindings

Mark Brown broonie at opensource.wolfsonmicro.com
Sat Dec 3 00:34:13 EST 2011

On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 11:24:18PM +1100, David Gibson wrote:

> No, you suggested it be a global property of the interrupt source.
> Same problem, just less so.

Cite?

> > Not in the real world, in the real world we don't have device tree
> > bindings for most of the interrupt controllers out there and therefore
> > no code exists to parse them.  There's a fairly small set of current
> > systems using device tree and a very large set of systems which have
> > never used it before and are currently working on implementing it.

> If we support the PIC at all, it must know how to determine the
> interrupt types.  When DT support is added to the PIC, that will
> include determining the type from the interrupt specifiers.  If we
> don't support the PIC, we don't care.

*sigh*  We do care because as I say in the paragraph you quote above
people are trying to roll device tree out onto new platforms.  The
coverage on PowerPC and SPARC is near 100% but the coverage on ARM is
very far away from that so we're going to have to create a large number
of new bindings.