How to handle named resources with DT?

Shawn Guo shawn.guo at freescale.com
Fri Aug 12 14:10:17 EST 2011

On Tue, Aug 09, 2011 at 11:37:10PM +0200, Cousson, Benoit wrote:
> On 8/9/2011 11:16 PM, Grant Likely wrote:

> >>OK, sure, I get your point now. I was thinking about a "potential"
> >>dma support from the core DT, since this is very similar to IRQ.
> >>
> >>Otherwise, we can do it OMAP specific if nobody else care about
> >>that. But I still think it should be useful for other platforms.

It is definitely useful for other platforms, so please add the support
in DT core.

> >I think people care, and it will be a net win, but it does mean you
> >need do the work of crafting a binding that will work for a large
> >proportion of SoCs.

When it comes out, I will happily test it on imx :)

> The devil is in the details, but the way the DMA lines are connected
> in OMAP is similar to IRQ lines, and maybe a little bit simpler.
>
> So starting with a copy/paste of the of_irq file should be a good start.
> And then the issues will start:-)

I had a conversation with Arnd as below.  Arnd has the concern on
multiple dma controllers.  So it is a question if we need to handle
multiple dma controllers like we do for multiple irq controllers.

--- quote ---
Shawn Guo:
> Then like that IRQ number is decoded and populated into IORESOURCE_IRQ
> by device tree infrastructural code, we can also do the same into
> IORESOURCE_DMA.  In that case, drivers do not need any code change for
> getting dma channel/event numbers from device tree, as
> platform_get_resource(pdev, IORESOURCE_DMA) still works for them.

Arnd Bergmann:
But I really don't think there is value in using IORESOURCE_DMA for this.
We don't have the code to manage DMA resources for more than one DMA
controller AFAICT, and I think we should not add it. Globally
unique interrupt numbers cause us a lot of trouble and we go to great
lengths to fake them on modern devices. It would be much better
not to have them visible in the OS, and I don't want to add them to
a modern API like the dmaengine.
---

Regards,
Shawn