CELF Project Proposal/Add Device Tree emulation support to QEMU

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Mon May 24 17:04:58 EST 2010

Grant Likely wrote:
> (cc'ing devicetree-discuss and others)
>
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Nigel Cunningham
> <ncunningham at crca.org.au> wrote:
>
>> http://elinux.org/CELF_Project_Proposal/Add_Device_Tree_emulation_support_to_QEMU

Just in case anyone is interested -

One Laptop Per Child is doing some ARM work, so I have resurrected
FirmWorks' ARM version of Open Firmware.  It's in the open source OFW
tree at http://openfirmware.info/Open_Firmware .  There is a build that
runs under QEMU, in the subdirectory cpu/arm/versatilepb .  FirmWorks'
core ARM stuff is fairly solid, having been developed to shipping
quality for Digital's "Shark" (aka DNARD) system, just prior to
Digital's demise and the sale of StrongARM to Intel.

I'll be adding more elaborations in the near future.  One item on the
short list is to auto-generate a flattened device tree from the real
device tree.  It's a pity that the dynamic device tree has to be
projected onto a static structure, but I guess that Gresham's Law
applies to software too.