CELF Project Proposal/Add Device Tree emulation support to QEMU

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Mon May 24 15:20:43 EST 2010

(cc'ing devicetree-discuss and others)

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Nigel Cunningham
<ncunningham at crca.org.au> wrote:
> http://elinux.org/CELF_Project_Proposal/Add_Device_Tree_emulation_support_to_QEMU
>
> Grant, I've joined the devicetree-discuss mailing list, and am seeking to
> get up to speed with things, but want to find out before I get too carried
> away what your thoughts are on Rob's proposal. In your opinion, is there a
> useful contribution I can make in this area, or do you already have it all
> in hand and not need any help? (I'm not sure how old Rob's proposal is).

Hi Nigel,

A bunch of work has already been done in this area, but not all of it
has been pushed upstream.  Edgar Ingesias and John Williams
collaborated to bring up QEMU microblaze support, including a device
tree parser.  I believe John & Petalogix is continuing to pursue this
work, but I don't know what the state of it is.  Much of the
Microblaze support is in mainline, but I don't think the device tree
parser has been pushed up yet.  John and Edgar can tell you about this
much better than I.

Independently, Jeremy Kerr added QEMU support for passing a device
tree to the kernel on the ARM architecture via an ATAG, and I added
code for generating the device tree contents from the set of
instantiated devices.  This approach is rather different from what
John and Edgar have done as it still requires a separate method of
configuring QEMU.  While I find it useful, this approach probably
isn't the best long term solution.

I'm not actively working on this other than adding the bits and pieces
I need to improve the ARM device tree support in the kernel.  You'll
have to coordinate with John and Edgar to figure out if there is a
useful contribution that you can make.

Cheers,