standard property to convey device dma address width?

Mitch Bradley wmb at firmworks.com
Tue Aug 17 06:17:10 EST 2010

Kumar Gala wrote:
> Do we or should we have a standard property to convey that address width a device is capable of?

What is the context?  When Open Firmware was first developed, the only
bus with partial addresses was ISA.  The ISA bus binding has a "dma"
property that describes some of the legacy DMA characteristics, but
address width isn't one of them, for reasons that I don't remember.

I thought at the time (perhaps wishfully) that partial addresses would
not be consideration for future buses, because

a) The transition to large-scale integration had already made logic
gates nearly "free", so there was no motivation to skimp on address
register bits.

b) Although packages were - and still are - pin-limited, partial address
bus connections were not feasible because of uneven bus loading problems.

c) Address and data buses were usually multiplexed onto the same pins,
further reducing the motivation for partial addresses.

Obviously, since you are asking the question, there is some case where
address width could be variable.  I'd be interested to learn the details.

If I had to describe a partial address, I'd consider a property name
like "dma-address-mask", whose value is a bitmap of implemented bits,
corresponding to the bits in a unit address for the parent bus.
Low-order bits might be zero if the DMA addressing hardware had
alignment restrictions.