esdhc binding compatiable

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 5 21:29:38 EST 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 4:11 PM, Scott Wood wrote:

> On Mon, May 04, 2009 at 08:54:28AM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>> There has been some discussion on various lists about what the
>> binding
>> doc says w/regards to compat binding for eSHDC on 83xx, 85xx, pxxxx.
>>
>> My thinking is that we wanted to avoid "fsl,eshdc" as possibly being
>> to generic (some theory that esdhc might be same or similar
>> controller
>> on iMX devices from FSL).  If that's the case I'm thinking something
>> like:
>
> If it's the *same* controller, then it should have the same compatible
> (and the same driver).

Define the *same*.  I believe things might be 90/95% the same but
there is probably some 5/10% SoC unique integration changes between an
eSDHC on a PPC vs ARM SoC from FSL.  For example in the imx version
they have a few registers called ADMA Error Status & ADMA Address
which we don't have on PQ devices.

- k