[ccan] could you put the license on the download page?

Avery Pennarun apenwarr at gmail.com
Fri Oct 22 11:49:30 EST 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 11:35 PM, Rusty Russell <rusty at rustcorp.com.au> wrote:
> I'll be switching to git (more people know it), with separate trees for
> each module (which allows me to grant commit access on a module granularity)
> and a merged tree for wider consumption.  But it makes it far easier to
> browse the history of a module.
>
> Currently I'm playing with git subtree, which seems like it will be the most
> effective way of doing this (though I'm not sure how it will scale with
> hundreds of subtrees).

I wrote git-subtree, and to be honest, I'm not sure how well it will
scale with that many subtrees either :(

Do you have any kind of nested subtrees?  That is, a/b/c is a project
'c' imported into 'b', which is imported into 'a'?  Or do you have a
bunch of projects all imported into a single toplevel project?

Both ways work, but the latter is much less confusing, workflow wise.
Also, how many commits do you have?  git-subtree is a little slow if
you have zillions of commits; optimizable, but not yet optimized, and
I haven't really found much reason to optimize it.

On the other hand, I don't necessarily have any better advice - using
git-submodule instead with lots of modules, you'd probably want to
stab yourself in the eyes with a fork.  But I'm afraid I can't really
promise that it'll work perfectly the first time.

Let me know if you run into any problems, though, and maybe I can
suggest something.

Have fun,

Avery