[ccan] Moving modules to vanity naming?

Tim Post echo at echoreply.us
Wed Nov 3 14:48:04 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 19:44 -0700, david at lang.hm wrote:

> this is meaningless if you really expect people to clone individual
> modules, but I think that until this gets quite large people are more
> likely to clode everything and then look at the parts they need (the
> overhead of doing multiple clone commands will be higher than the overhead
> of pulling the extra pieces)

I agree with that. For the most part, using CCAN I just build a static
object and ship headers for the bits that I actually use in any given
project.

That would change, hopefully in the not too distant future when a proper
client is produced to search / get modules with dependency resolution,
something suitable to run within a tree and have files just appear.

Actually, with that in mind, the whole business of name space (except
for module contributors) would be pretty much abstracted away at that
point, so I'd be all for whatever made it easier.

Barring, of course, name space conflicts within modules themselves (i.e.
2 or more defining LOG_INFO), but that has yet to happen that I know of.

Cheers!,
--Tim