[ccan] Moving modules to vanity naming?

david at lang.hm david at lang.hm
Wed Nov 3 13:44:54 EST 2010

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010, Rusty Russell wrote:

> On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 12:32:57 pm Alexander 'hatred' Drozdoff wrote:
>> In this case, I think, more good put 'author' first - with this simple 'ls' group author's
>> packages :-)
>
> I think that group-by-name is what David wanted to avoid, but I don't really
> mind.

while it wouldn't be my first choice, a single layer with author-module
would be better than a two layer author/module, at least with the first
you can see the module names in an 'ls', and if you care enough you can
send the ls through a sort to sort by module name.

but what I had been thinking was that instead of author/module do
category/module-author (or author-module)

by the way, one thing to remember with git is that in one repository (with
one copy of the data) you can have multiple heads, so you can have a main
ccan head, but also have a ccan-bsd head that only contains links to bsd
compatible licensed stuff.

this is meaningless if you really expect people to clone individual
modules, but I think that until this gets quite large people are more
likely to clode everything and then look at the parts they need (the
overhead of doing multiple clone commands will be higher than the overhead
of pulling the extra pieces)

David Lang