[ccan] A few questions about ccan

Stephen Cameron smcameron at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 25 16:16:44 EST 2009

Hi, I'm pretty new to ccan, but I like the idea quite a bit, and after running across cpan (even though I'm not a perl programmer) I've often wondered, where's the cpan for C, and it was just such a wondering and subsequent googling that led me here.

I have some scraps of code around that I wonder if they're good enough, or worthwhile to try to package up for ccan.

For instance, I have wwviaudio.c wwviaudio.h ogg_to_pcm.h, ogg_to_pcm.c, in here:
http://wordwarvi.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc/wordwarvi/wordwarvi/

which might be a good candidate (it's a simple audio library that relies on portaudio and libvorbis)  I wouldn't say that it is necessarily finished, as there are probably things I will add to it over time.  But maybe it's "not good enough" to bother?)

Is the emphasis of ccan seen to be on the "comprehensive" part, or, on the "archive" part?

Or to put it another way, is ccan primarily yet-another-packaging-scheme?

There are obviously a lot of libraries and such which can be had via "yum install xxx-devel" or "apt-get install xxx-devel" and source is typically available through apt-get and RPM/yum as well. (though RPM/yum and apt-get are obviously OS-specific).  Is the expectation that these sorts of things would be additionally packaged as ccan modules?

Or is the long term view that the "comprehensive" aspect of ccan would some how provide an index of that sort of thing, rather than an additional copy packaged a different way, the ccan way?

Or is ccan more focused on smaller hunks of hackable C source, and less on "libraries"?

Just wondering, and hope my questions make sense.

-- steve