[ccan] CCAN & GSoC 2009

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Tue Feb 24 12:33:50 EST 2009

On Friday 20 February 2009 11:11:51 foo-script wrote:
> My proposals:
>
> 1. RegEx. This module has to support at least:
> -searching the string (const char * or using String module) and return an
> array of pointers to found substring
> -checking whether an argument corresponds to a given regex formula
> -(extra) creating a regex formula from a set of strings

This is the kind of project where IMHO someone should simply steal the code from perl or wherever, and produce a nice interface.

Fast, general regexes would be a useful library, but I prefer someone who
has the code and/or the need to be the one to include it.

> 2. Good pseudo-random numbers generator - this one in cstdlib isn't good
> enough. Using OpenSSL each time doesn't seem to be a solution.

Hmm, OpenSSL is the best approach if you really want crypto (I don't really want to be dealing with subtle RNG bugs at that level).  And my only requirement for a rng library is a way of making it repeatable (ie. a seed mechanism to override /dev/urandom or whatever it uses internally).

But I'm not sure we want individual modules as GSoC projects.  I mean, they
can be hacked up in a day or so usually.

Or do we?
Rusty.