[ccan] CCAN & GSoC 2009

Timothy B. Terriberry tterribe at xiph.org
Fri Feb 20 12:59:10 EST 2009

foo-script wrote:
> 2. Good pseudo-random numbers generator - this one in cstdlib isn't good enough. Using OpenSSL each time doesn't seem to be a solution.

I personally would recommend ISAAC:
http://burtleburtle.net/bob/rand/isaacafa.html
I've used it for many years without issue.

In addition to the quality tests done by the author, it also passes all
the tests from a recent survey paper:
http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~simardr/testu01/tu01.html
Among the algorithms considered in that paper, the only one faster on
32-bit architectures is Marsa-LFIB4, and ISAAC is quite competitive on
64-bit ones. Unlike SuperDuper64 or the LFib generators (including
Marsa-LFIB4), ISAAC does not have obvious linear dependencies between
the random values.

And the code is public domain, so all someone has to do is format it
into a CCAN module.