[ccan] First ideas for GSoC

Rusty Russell rusty at rustcorp.com.au
Thu Mar 27 10:03:47 EST 2008

On Wednesday 26 March 2008 07:13:54 Nicolas Martyanoff wrote:
> First ideas:
>
> The end users must be able to grab the libs easily:
>
> ccan --install 'sys::threads'
> ccan --update
> ccan --upgrade
>
> Of course, the tools has to handle dependencies.

Hi Nicolas,

    These ideas are good: I've put more information this on the wiki: See
http://ccan.ozlabs.org/Wiki/RefeshingCode

> If we want this platform to be really usable, we also have to standardize
> the way packages are built (make...).

    I'm not so sure: that's extremely site and project variable.  The current
standard is that all non-_-prefixed C files are compiled:
http://ccan.ozlabs.org/Wiki/CodeConvention

    That makes writing, generating, or expanding an existing Makefile trivial.
So I think we can avoid dictating tools.

> The site web would allow new projet creation, user feedbacks,
> documentation, etc.

Indeed.

> For the architecture, I would suggest something like this:
>

> +-----------------------------------+---------------------+------------->
> User
>
>          |             perl VCI              |                     |
>
> Versionning (Bazaar) <----------> \          |         RPC         |
>
>                                    > Web site (perl) <----> Client (ANSI C)
>
> DB (postgresql) <---------------> /
> 		    perl DBI
>
> The more I think about it, the more I believe it's possible to build a
> great platform :)

That seems like a valid design.  Frankly I think it can be done without a
database, at least to start, and simply regenerate static pages based on bzr
activity.  That has the advantage that it's easy to mirror.

Cheers,
Rusty.