[ccan] First ideas for GSoC

Nicolas Martyanoff khaelin at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 07:13:54 EST 2008

First ideas:

The end users must be able to grab the libs easily:

ccan --install 'sys::threads'
ccan --update
ccan --upgrade

Of course, the tools has to handle dependencies.

The programmers must have simple tools too:

# Run the tests then send the results to the server
ccan --test 'sys::threads'
# Release a new version of a module
ccan --release 'sys-threads_0.6-r4.tgz'

If we want this platform to be really usable, we also have to standardize
the way packages are built (make...).

The site web would allow new projet creation, user feedbacks, documentation, etc.

For the architecture, I would suggest something like this:

         +-----------------------------------+---------------------+-------------> User
         |                                   |                     |
         |                                   |                     |
         |             perl VCI              |                     |
Versionning (Bazaar) <----------> \          |         RPC         |
                                   > Web site (perl) <----> Client (ANSI C)
DB (postgresql) <---------------> /
		    perl DBI

The more I think about it, the more I believe it's possible to build a great platform :)

Regards,

--
Nicolas Martyanoff
   http://codemore.org