[Cbe-oss-dev] Closing down cbe-oss-dev list?

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Wed Sep 2 21:26:27 AEST 2020

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 12:25 PM Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been doing some mailing-list cleanup, and had a peek through the
> archives of cbe-oss-dev. It looks like we've only had a couple of
> threads happen over the last 5 years (one last May, and the previous in
> December 2015).
>
> So, I'd suggest that it may be time to close down this list. We can
> still use the linuxppc-dev list if anything comes up, which is
> referenced in the kernel MAINTAINERS list:

Sounds good to me. Adding Geoff to Cc though, as far as I can
tell he's the only one left from those days that occasionally does
something related.

>    CELL BROADBAND ENGINE ARCHITECTURE
>    M:   Arnd Bergmann <arnd at arndb.de>
>    L:   linuxppc-dev at lists.ozlabs.org
> S:      Supported
> W:      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/
> F:      arch/powerpc/include/asm/cell*.h
> F:      arch/powerpc/include/asm/spu*.h
> F:      arch/powerpc/include/uapi/asm/spu*.h
> F:      arch/powerpc/oprofile/*cell*
> F:      arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/
>
> SPU FILE SYSTEM
> M:      Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org>
> L:      linuxppc-dev at lists.ozlabs.org
> S:      Supported
> W:      http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/power/cell/
> F:      Documentation/filesystems/spufs/spufs.rst
> F:      arch/powerpc/platforms/cell/spufs/
>
> Any objections?

That developerworks website is dead, so that should
be removed as well.

We could also consider dropping CONFIG_PPC_CELL_NATIVE
along with all related options, and merge the rest of platforms/cell
with platforms/ps3 in either of those places. It's been 15 years
since the code got merged and 12 years since we stopped
working on it, so I assume all users of the blades have moved on
long ago, and if there are still embedded users of CAB or other
machines, they presumably stopped updating their kernels
not long after the distros ended their support.

      Arnd